Stricter Demolition Regulations Coming to Philadelphia
In the wake of last summer’s tragic building collapse at 22nd and Market, Philadelphia’s City Council has passed a new five-bill demolition regulation package. Here are some of the changes that you will see soon:
- Required safety plans as part of an application for any demolition permit;
- Experience requirements and safety training for all demolition contractors, with enhanced background checks on their work history and finances;
- A requirement that all demolition workers complete a 10-hour safety course developed for the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration;
- Mandatory site inspections by the city’s Department of Licenses and Inspection;
- Mandatory safety training for city inspectors and their supervisors, and a requirement that contractors hire independent safety monitors for their work sites.
Click Here for the entire article in Engineering News-Record.